Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Traditional traditions

Sarcasm is one of my many “love languages.” People often don’t like sarcasm, so it has gotten me in trouble at times.  But if you have a gift, why keep it to yourself, right?  There are times when I read the sayings of Jesus and can’t help but think He is being sarcastic.  (This isn’t a popular thought process among strict church folks.)  So reading in Mark this morning I came across a verse where the church elders were frustrated with Jesus because his disciples didn’t wash their hands before they ate.  (This is obviously a shortened version of the story) So Jesus goes on to explain the very touchy church topic of traditions.  And he said to them: “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!” Mark 7:9 (NIV) I dislike traditions, it’s no secret.  And not traditions like, Christmas Eve dinner with my family, or showering only on the third Thursday of the month.  I am talking about church traditions.  If you have been around church any period of time you know what I am talking about.  Some traditions could have a crossed stitched plaque hanging right next to the Ten Commandments.  “Thou shall not eat or drink in the sanctuary.”  Which by the way, have you ever thought of the fact that Jesus chose bread and red wine to eat in the Upper Room?  Bread makes all sorts of crumbs and red wine, well that’s just a janitorial nightmare if it gets spilled.  I am sure that the Pharisees would have rather He selected 7-up and Chex Mix instead.  Now don’t get me wrong, I do not feel that the Lords Supper is a laughing matter, and I find it of utmost importance in the Christian walk.  But it certainly does raise some questions if you think of it like that, right?  The second stitched commandment is again a touchy one, “Thou shall wear a three piece suit, or pants suit, to Sunday morning service.”  Now I understand the idea of looking presentable in church.  I especially understand it in our Walmart world, when wearing your holey Garfield tee shirt and princess pajama bottoms is totally acceptable at three in the afternoon.  But I can’t help but think that we have created a culture in the Church that has an underlying statement that you have to have it “all together” to be there.  Being a person who was on the outside looking in, I know this is what many people think.  So again, I go back to the Bible. These guys had tailors and seamstresses.  So why were Jesus and His disciples so humble looking and the Pharisees and religious leaders adorned with the finest of clothes?  I don’t know, again, I don’t have all answers or think I know everything; it’s just a thought.  There are plenty other traditions in churches, I am sure you can add a lot more to this list, as can I.  But I will leave you with one final one and it is not so much a bad thing, as it is a very traditional thing, and that is “Thou shall have one Pancake breakfast or Salisbury steak dinner a month.”  Now, before you close this page, hear me out.  I love pancakes; I don’t like Salisbury steak (I had a terrible Banquet T.V dinner experience.)  I also understand that these events are held to help raise money for various charities and events, but that’s what gets my goat.  Isn’t Jesus very clear in Matthew 19:21, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasures in Heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Italics mine)  Not to confuse charity with tradition here, I have this feeling that if we were doing as Jesus instructed us to do; there would be no need for community dinners of any kind.  Now I understand that these dinners create community, and they are very much appreciated by those receiving the donation, so I am not trying to discredit the idea of these dinners.  But if we escaped the monotony of traditions and turned our eyes and ears to what Jesus instructed us to do, I would bet that a majority of differences and arguments would be settled.  It is clear to me in that first listed verse in Mark that traditions are not of God, they are of man.  It is my understanding that most anything of man, eventually leads to trouble.  So I am not saying that traditions are an evil thing, I would just encourage us to check ourselves and make sure our ideas are in line with what the Lord wants for our church.

No comments:

Post a Comment