Monday, November 11, 2013

A Veterans Day thank you!

A Veterans Day thank you.
        I know it is fairly cliché for me to be writing a post and adding some scripture to it, but I found this interesting. And though it isn’t used in the Bible in the same context I am going to use it today, I think it speaks to the unthankfullness and selfishness that our society has towards heroes sometimes. So in my reading this morning I came across this verse in Philippians, and again, the context is wrong but you will see the point. (I hope!)
        “Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.”             Philippians 2:29-30
        Now I do understand that some people of faith will look at this verse used in context of thanking veterans as blasphemy combining the “work of Christ” and thanking veterans for war service. However, the disciples in biblical days were very much fighting for freedom of the Way, as much as we are fighting for freedom today. War has always had some sort of religious undertone to it. I have heard many of atheist or nonbelievers say, “Religion has spilled more blood than any other idea.” There is some truth to this, but sometimes fighting is required to defend the Truth. Paul in this verse is speaking to the church in Philippi concerning sending a man by the name of Epaphroditus. (I am glad my parents didn’t name me that!) This man had apparently endured many of battles for the sake of the gospel, and almost lost his life apparently. Paul also states that he was “risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.” (Emphasis mine) So many times there are those who are very “anti war,” and I will not indulge that argument here, but those same people who are forming picket lines around the state capital, are the same people who have those freedoms because somebody other than yourself fought for them. We seem to forget that a majority of us would not be here if not for soldiers and warriors. I am a man who believes that the pen is mightier than the sword; however, I never go without thanking those who held the sword and held it courageously for MY freedom. Understand, this is not about me tooting my own horn, but anytime I am out in the public and I see a man or woman wearing military gear I always try to stop them and thank them for their service to our country. And I think a few more of us would be doing a great service to those who did serve for our freedom by thanking them and welcoming them “in the Lord with GREAT joy.” George Washington once said. “To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.” I shudder to say, but preparation for war is almost a necessity in today’s society with so many people trying to take away these freedoms which so many young men and women have fought for to protect. So if you haven’t served or will never serve in the military, serve those that have with hospitality and kindness. And if you have served or plan on serving in the military, let me be the first to thank you for your service and for the freedoms I enjoy, even if it means I am able to be a man of the pen and write this post to you. God bless and thank you veterans!

No comments:

Post a Comment