Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Rah Rah Sis Boom Blah

Rah-Rah Sis Boom Blah!

        Don’t let the title fool you. I am neither anti-cheerleading nor anti-errrr…..daughter? Yesterday I had to pick my oldest daughter up from, you guessed it, cheerleading practice. The daughter who is introverted, shy and very (at least I thought) anti-cheer anything!  But being that it is her senior year in high school, I think she is seeing adulthood coming quickly so she wants to slow the process I am assuming. So on the car ride home from practice; I listened in shock as my 17 year old told me all about her first day of practice. I will admit, though I did hear all of the conversation, most of my time was spent thinking to myself that I never imagined in a million years that I would ever have this conversation with her. Again, I know her. Don’t get me wrong, I am VERY proud of her, and will always encourage her to follow her heart and live life to the fullest. It was just weird for me, I suppose, to hear someone talk about something so passionately that you never expected them to have passion about. I guess her adulthood journey is coming quicker for me then it is for her. To see her making her own decisions and living her life the way she wants to live it is a bit of a shock to my parental system. On top of the fact that every day I check the mailbox and she now gets more mail then the rest of the family does. *by the way….Liberty Bible College…how much money do you spend on advertising? She gets like 17 mailers a day from that place.* Well, it was bound to happen. I always say that “time does not wait for anybody”, and now one of my favorite sayings is biting me in the butt. It seems time has passed me by and she will have a career and family of her own someday. Until that time comes though, I will continue to appreciate the time we have with our kids and I will constantly remind them of another one of my favorite says; “There are two types of people, those who are cheerleaders, and those who are leaders of cheer.” I just hope all of our girls will end up being “leaders of cheer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment